About Me

My photo
I am a mother of a beautiful daughter with Hemifacial Microsomia. Graci has changed my life forever. I am so thankful for every day God gives me with her. I believe God created her the way he wanted her to be; and placed her in my life for a reason. I pray that he gives me strength and guidance I need to raise her to be a beautiful lady. Graci was born with mulitple birth defects. She has already undergone several surgeries and now we have reached the point in her life where she will have ear reconstuction on her microtia. This blog is for family, friends and others to read as we go through this amazing journey in California as Graci gets her new ear.

Sunday, September 27, 2009

September's Super Fundraisers

Today has been a very emotional day for me. I guess it started at 12 am when I laid my head down for bed and I began to pray. I immediate started to cry because I have never ever felt like this before. It's so overwhelming for me and I don't know what else to do but cry. I began to thank God for my family, friends and everyone who doesn't even know my family but yet cares so much. I was pouring my heart out to God asking him why "us". Why do we deserve all this when there is so many people who need help. Well needless to say, I feel asleep because I woke up and looked at the clock and it was 7am. I woke up to most precious sight ever and that was two small children lying next to me. I must have been so tired that I didn't even know they had gotten in the bed with us. Graci was all snuggled up to her Daddy and Griffin was whispering in my ear, "Mommy, Rub my back". My eyes watered up and I begin to thank God again for two amazing children and wonderful husband who have made me the person I am today.

September started out with Chicken :) A dear friend of mine contacted Chick-fil-a about doing a fundraiser for Graci and they agreed. The date was picked and it just happen to be on our 10th Year Anniversary so I knew that it would be a special day and one to remember forever. It started bright and early in the morning, 6am to be exact, and people were rolling in for breakfast and the drive thru line was backing up. Lunch came and people were ordering chicken sandwiches faster than they could make them. The volunteers (who were dear friends of Thomas and I) were busying filling drinks, wiping tables and checking on the cow. Yes that reminds me that Chick-fil-a has its very own cow. Well he was quite entertaining out in the street catching peoples eyes and trying to get them in to support a great cause. Dinner came in like a dynamite and business was booming. Kids were having fun in the playroom until MiMi the clown came in with her bright colorful balloons and vivid paint images. MiMi spent over 3 hours painting kids faces so spectacular that it was eye shadowing. Tables were filling up and the noise was flowing throughout the restaurant. The atmosphere was wonderful. Graci had a great time in her cow outfit prancing around talking to the customers. The night ended with alot of tired people but the generosity that was shown for such an amazing little girl was breath taken. Thank you to all our friends who helped organized and plan this event and thanks to Chick-fil-a for helping make Graci's dream come true!!!

Also that same day, my employer, Wilson County Health Department, hosted a "Dress Down For Graci Day". Every employee interested paid $5.00 to dress down for the entire day. They also had a bake sale with scrumptious desserts from chocolate pie, brownies, cupcakes, key lime and even one of the employees famous Caramel cake. Many of the staff visited the Bake Sale through out the day, buying their favorite dessert and munching on them all day. It really brought tears to my eyes knowing that my own co-workers care so much. It is important to know that I can come to work and be around such a group of caring individuals. Many of them I see more than I do my own family. It reminds me of a Winston Churchill quote that "We make a living by what we get, but we make a life by what we give." I hope one day my family will be able to give back to the community what they have done for us. I am so thankful and fortunate to work with such a giving group and I thank the Health Director and the staff at Wilson County Health Department for supporting my family and helping Graci with her journey.

Words can't describe what a wonderful weekend this was for The Brown Family! Friday started out with "An Ear For Graci" Golf Tournament. The committee for this fundraiser has been working so hard and so deli gently on this project that they were addicted to making this happen. We will NEVER be able to thank everyone who was apart of this because the response was just that remarkable. We had over 41 golf teams and over 35 Sponsors who came together to help Graci with her Ear. The morning started early with volunteers putting up sponsor signs and getting ready to sign the golfers in, selling raffle tickets and selling for the 50/50 raffle. I couldn't have been more amazed by the organization of this event and the Wells family needs to be committed immensely for their hard work. As Mark Fulford said, "What an amazing day, I had a great time being apart of such a great cause." Thanks to Mark as well for is eagerness to make this happen. However, the rain clouds and the chilly air set in and it poured for about an hour; but it didn't stop those golfers from trying to win. It ended in the afternoon with many tired, wet but still smiling golfers. Graci was waiting at the clubhouse for them and giving them high fives as they came in. Winners were announced, door prizes were given out and the 50/50 winner donated his money back to Graci. The day was a dynamite and it raised over $15,000. It will be an annual event and dates and place are already being discussed for the next year. Graci's Golfers sure knew how to make her feel like a real pro that day!!

Graci's Journey to Her Ear doesn't end there. Rib Hut a local business in Wilson, NC who is famous for their ribs and famous John Boy and Billy Sause wanted also to be apart of a great cause. With every $25 gift card purchased for the next two months $5 would go towards Graci's Medical Fund. Many people were going online to purchase and visiting the restaurant for gift cards. Michelle Lewis, owner of the Rib Hut wanted to end the fundraiser with a Benefit Concert. Easy Street, the greateast and most sought after band in Wilson graciously agreed to play to wind up the fundraiser. It was a great night with my family and Graci's Biggest Fan's coming out to support her. People were coming out ot eat good food, drink cold beverages and listen to good music. Easy Street brought tears to my eyes when they played "Graci's Song" and remindedThomas and I over and over again while playing "Alright" by Darris Rucker that "we have all we've ever wanted and that everything will be alright." Every time I hear this band it just makes me realize that nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Easy Street, Rib Hut and staff made it a great night and Graci enjoyed it so much! She is turning into a little Country Music Girl and ready to learn to play the Guitar.

Pretty, Pretty Princess!!!!! Playdate a drop in childcare center in Wilson, NC just adores my children. I have been dropping them off every since they opened their doors. In fact, we were probably one of their first costumers. Graci and Griffin are their biggest Fans and Angie and her staff have always been so welcoming and loving towards all the kids that come. They too wanted to to be apart of the community reaching out to help Graci. The week started with a basket raffle. Baskets and Gift Certificates were donated by various Wilson Businesses and individuals and people came in all week to buy tickets and placed them by the basket they wanted to win. Many baskets included make-up, jewelry, hair products, scrap booking, massages, gift certificates, pottery, art work and much much more. It was so excited brownsing all the baskets and picking which one you wanted to win.

Sunday ended the weekend with Graci's very own Princess Party. You could drop off your royalty for some true princess pampering for two hours and your little one would sure be treated like a queen. Graci being the most gorgeous Princess of them all had a glamours time. It was just a sweet event to watch girls prancing around in heels, glitter, pearls and crowns. Thank you so much Angie, Mike and the Playdate staff for making Graci feel like a true princess and helping her with her journey. We just love you from the bottom of our hearts. I want to end with a quote from Brian Andreas, "Are you a princess I said and she said I'm much more than a princess, but you don't have a name for it yet on Earth....."

1 comment:

  1. You made me cry this morning, Mary- and I was already feeling a little emotional! Your family is truly a blessing and I am learning sooo much through you and your faith! God has truly blessed you- and each of us who are privledged to know Princess Graci!

    Love and prayers,
    Karen

    ReplyDelete

An Ear For Graci

An Ear For Graci

Graci's Song

Graci's Song

Followers