About Me

My photo
I am a mother of a beautiful daughter with Hemifacial Microsomia. Graci has changed my life forever. I am so thankful for every day God gives me with her. I believe God created her the way he wanted her to be; and placed her in my life for a reason. I pray that he gives me strength and guidance I need to raise her to be a beautiful lady. Graci was born with mulitple birth defects. She has already undergone several surgeries and now we have reached the point in her life where she will have ear reconstuction on her microtia. This blog is for family, friends and others to read as we go through this amazing journey in California as Graci gets her new ear.

Tuesday, February 16, 2010

2 Ears 2 See!

Time for things to get back to normal! Whatever normal is in a house with 2 kids, a dog and 2 stressed out parents. Graci returned to school with her head dressing on and everyone was "all ears" to hear about her trip and surgery. She had a good first day back getting lots of valentine's cards and candy. She came home with a smile. Mommy's first day back at work was extremely hard and started with lots of tears while sitting at my desk. It hurt my heart so bad to leave my family and return to work. I was missing them so bad and wanted to be surrounded by people who cared and didn't feel that way.

Well the only way to see a rainbow is to look through the rain. That's the feeling I felt when trying to explain to a 6 year old girl that her bandage had to come off. She didn't want it off because she knew in her mind that it didn't quite look like the other one. I explained to her that I wanted to see my sweet girl look me in eyes with 2 ears. She said OK, help me. I began to take the outer bandage off and she was shaking so bad. Tears were pouring down her face and she was screaming, "Stop Mommy, I'm scared". She was afraid and frightened. All I could think about was if this journey was ever going to live a scar on her life. A journey that she may later regret. I just kept reminding myself and remembering the smile on her face when I told her about her journey to her ear.

Graci DID IT! That is what she was yelling running down the hallway with the rest of the bandage. She had taken it off herself. She didn't want me in the room at all. I noticed her standing in front of the mirror working on trying to get it off. Mommy, I Did it! I looked up and said, "You are beautiful". I can't even begin to tell you the feeling I felt looking at my daughter with 2 ears. It was a breath taking moment and that is what life is all about not by the breaths we take, but seeing a little girl smile. She was glowing and ever so gorgeous. I know that Graci's not perfect and never will be, but she has reached up and grabbed the stars. I tell her often that it's not easy reaching for your dream but strength and courage will help you reach your goal.

2 comments:

  1. "She was glowing and ever so gorgeous. I know that Graci's not perfect and never will be, but she has reached up and grabbed the stars."

    Just want you to know Graci IS PERFECT.

    It's heart-warming to know that she has the courage that you've instilled in her. Keep your strength and she will most certainly grow from that!

    What a beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mary,

    I have known you since we were 5 :) I have always said you were the nicest person I ever knew....Graci was blessed with you as a mother, she seems to be an amazing little girl and I am sure she will continue to reach for the stars with you by her side.

    hugs, Amy "Ryals" Russin

    ReplyDelete

An Ear For Graci

An Ear For Graci

Graci's Song

Graci's Song

Followers